Monday, April 14, 2008

The trash nazi and baby steps

Some of you may recall way back last spring when I decided I was going to start recycling. I stopped at the trash collection center to get a brochure about how to seperate my items. I read the brochure cover to cover and hung it on my fridge for reference. I bought bins to seperate my aluminum cans, my plastic, and paper. I faithfully rinsed out my bottles and kept a close inspection on everything that Chris was throwing away. I felt so good about it and I could just feel Mother Nature wrapping her arms around me. I was so proud the day I sent Chris to the trash center with my perfectly clean, perfectly seperated trash. Imagine my disappointment when Chris came back home and said he ended up throwing everything in the "regular" trash. See, the trash nazi (you know the lady I am talking about if you live in or around Rural Retreat) rejected most of our recyclables. The aluminum cans needed to be crushed. The white plastic ring around the plastic bottles needed to be removed, etc. etc. I asked Chris if he told the trash police that none of that stuff was mentioned on the handy dandy recycling brochure that I had read cover to cover and posted on my fridge for reference. And sarcastically Chris replies, "Yes Heidi, I stood there for 10 minutes debating on the behalf of you and Mother Nature." Long story short: My recycling bins have become great laundry sorting devices in my laundry room.

But, as spring approaches and I feel guilty because the trees and grass are coming back green, I am making a second, smaller attempt at saving the planet. I picked up these cute green bags at Food City yesterday. I am renewing my commitment to do my small part. Now, if I can remember to get these little suckers in the car when we go to the grocery store.


2 comments:

Jippler said...

Thank you so much for the blog update I was going through D-Ts. Hope to read it again tomorrow. LOVE YA

AmyLynn in the Attic said...

Hey there Heidi! Happy Earth Day! I just wanted to applaud your recycling efforts! Our house hold has been recycling since about 1995 or 1996 when we lived in Roanoke and recycling is made easy for residents there. As part of the local trash service each household is provided 2 recycling bins (1 for paper and the other for glass/aluminum). On your regular trash day the recycle truck comes by and picks up the recyclable for the week (paper one week, plastics, glass, aluminum the next alternately). Here we do a lot more work to recycle-- but I still feel great when I see the multiple bags that go to the recycle center and not into the garbage. Here in Wytheville you have to pay for trash tags and that is a great incentive to recycle, as well as saving the Earth. Way to go on your effort! Keep up the work and it will become second nature and will get easier as you go! :) Smile, and congrats on taking care of God's Earth!